Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Mariano Rivera is the man

No save bigger for Rivera
As if I didn't already have enough respect for Mariano Rivera as a player, I have even more now. After spending the weekend in Panama to attend the funeral of two family members, he hops a jet and arrives at Yankee Stadium during the 2nd inning. Then, with his heart still heavy with grief, he takes the mound and does what he does best.

Rivera has stood at the center of the Yankees' success since 1996. The Yankees are used to finding him there. But everyone understood that this was something above the call of duty.

"Mo and I take a golf cart to the bullpen in the bottom of the fifth in every game," backup catcher John Flaherty said. "When I came in, I didn't even know he was here yet. He was dressed and ready to go, I gave him a hug and he said, 'Let's go, buddy.' He was ready to go.

"He looked like he was tired, but it sounded like he was ready to go. He told us he was happy to be back, that he took care of what he needed to take care of. Nobody would ever question this guy's focus.

"It was very special. It tells you a lot about him to know what he's gone through the last couple of days and then do what he did."

Said Alex Rodriguez: "To see what he did tonight, to be a leader for his family, to be a leader for this family here, it's pretty awesome."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I despise the Yankees, I have to give it up to Rivera...he's a great pitcher, and as dedicated to the sport as they come.
-Allie

Post a Comment