Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Catching up...

A lot went on over the weekend. There was a lot that I ordinarily would’ve loved to blog about, but because I was so busy I never really had a chance to. Here are the highlights:

  • Took the kids to a great pumpkin patch in Schoharie County where they had all sorts of things to do – hay ride, corn maze, hay maze, animals, awesome cider doughnuts, these cool pedal-powered race cars and, of course, pumpkin picking.
  • I finished the book I was reading, “Shadow Divers.” It told the amazing true story about these divers who discovered a sunken WWII U-boat 60 miles of the coast of New Jersey in 1991. No one – not the Americans, the British or the Germans – had any idea what U-boat it was, what is was doing there or how it was sunk. These guys spent six years unraveling the mystery and rewriting history along the way. Three divers were killed in the process. It was a fantastic read – I highly recommend it!
  • I did get a chance to mention Saturday night’s Yankees-Red Sox blowout already. But Sunday and Monday’s games are killing me! Too damn long. I finally went to bed at about 1:15 a.m. Monday morning, after the 11th inning of Sunday’s game and I fell asleep last night and missed the end of last night’s game. Let’s hope the Yanks can wrap this up tonight.
  • My old friend Dan Markiewicz came to visit Sunday evening. Dan and I have been friends since the second grade. This was only the second time I’ve seen him in the past 12 years (the last time was about seven years ago in Seattle). He lives in California now, but was in Boston last weekend for his sister’s wedding and came over to see us after.
  • From the “Not So Fast Department,” after spending a morning at Starbucks with a bunch pro-Kerry buddies, Kris is now back in the undecided column with two weeks to go until Election Day.
  • The BBC has unveiled the logo for the new “Doctor Who” series…

  • Jon Stewart went at it with Paul “The Forehead” Begala and Tucker Carlson (mainly with Carlson) on CNN’s “Crossfire.” It got fairly heated and ugly. If you missed it, you have to see it!
  • Finally, check out this article about the guy who got a surprise visit from the Air Force after it was determined his Toshiba flat screen TV was transmitting a signal on the frequency used for international distress signals. True story!

0 comments:

Post a Comment