Sunday, October 10, 2004

Marathon mania

Mohawk Hudson Marathon
Kris completed her marathon today! She was hoping to finish in under five hours. In the end her finish time was 5:00:47.

But hey, what's 47 seconds anyway? The awesome thing is that she did it. In fact that's what I told her -- "You're awesome, you're my hero!" I am extremely proud of her. As I've said, I huff and puff my way through a 5K. I could never do a marahton.

The boys and I caught Kris and her running partner, Sunny, at about mile 3. After that we went home for a bit and then hopped in the car and caught them again at mile 16, where we passed off water and energy gels. Then it was on to the finish line in Albany where we ate lunch and waited for mommy to arrive.

When she came down the path and saw us we (the boys and I and some people from Kris' running group) started to cheer and I saw her face light up. After crossing the finish line she came walking over to us and looked thrilled. But as I went to hug her she burst into tears. Kris would later admit that she wasn't thinking straight and can't remember the moment very well. But I could tell they were tears of joy.

Right now Kris says she doesn't think she wants to do this again, but lets give her some time and then see how she feels. I think she'll be running a marathon again someday.

I found the whole thing very inspirational. Now I'm anxious to tackle another long bike ride. Only eight more months until next year's Tour de Cure!

Incidentally, my brother Tim also ran the Chicago marathon today. He finished in 3:20:16. Way to go, Tim!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Kris! It was great that she had you and the boys to cheer her on. I have such admiration for people who have the endurance and the drive to push themselves like that...I'm so lazy, it's pathetic.
-Allie
www.snazzykat.com/allietude

Roon said...

Kepler, you'll be pleased to know that at her request, as a reward for running a marathon, I cleaned the whole house for her!

I took yesterday off from work to help out with the kids while she was recovering. She was not looking forward to my return to work today.

Thanks for checking out the blog!

Roon said...

I think that sounds fair.

Post a Comment