Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The John Hughes Collection

Kris and I caught parts of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” not once, but twice, over the weekend. To this day that still remains a great movie – a true classic.

That got me thinking – if someone were to come out with a box set of John Hughes movies on DVD, I think I would have to snatch that up.

What movies should be included? I think “Sixteen Candles, “The Breakfast Club” and “Ferris Bueller” are givens. But let’s say it’s a six-disc set. What other movies should be in there?

I think I know my choices, but let’s hear what you have to say. Let’s limit it to Hughes’ teen movies, even though that would leave out his biggest money-maker, “Home Alone,” and the classic “Planes, Trains and Automobiles.” However, I think we can include “Uncle Buck” since a good part of the plot revolves around Buck’s dealings with his troubled teenage niece Tia.

One day I’m going to show some of these movies to my kids and explain to them that this is “my era” – and my kids will probably think I’m some kind of dinosaur.

So what do you think? What are your favorite John Hughes movies?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not toted as a John Hughes collection, but there is a collection of DVDs in a box set being sold as an "80s movie set" out there...in it are movies like Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club...can't remember what else...I've had my eye on it, but I won't buy it just yet since I have those movies on VHS, and there are newer movies coming out that I want to get first.
-Allie

Anonymous said...

just about all of his movies take place in illinois. take note of the name "shermer." it's featured as the city the movie takes place in in some of his movies. in fact, "officer shermer" pulls over ferris' mom's car. From IMDB: "Another reason his films are set in Shermer, Illinois is because back in the day, before Northbrook was called Northbrook, it was called Shermerville."

Post a Comment