Thursday, October 21, 2004

Game 7 Blues

I've been trying to think about what I would write if it came to this. Although I am filled with thoughts and emotions, I find I'm at a loss for words. Maybe something better will come to me later in the day.

Someone forgot to tell the Boston Red Sox that this wasn't supposed to happen. How can the Yankees blow a 3-0 lead to a bunch of guys who call themselves "The Idiots?"

The Sox simply outplayed the Yanks. They outpitched them (Kevin Brown sucks!), and they had David Ortiz. That was bad enough. Then Johnny "Captain Hairdo" Damon had to go and snap out of his slump all of a sudden.

The Sox won and thereby proved to be the better team. It doesn't change the fact that I still hate, hate, HATE the Boston Red Sox! I'm an American League guy. I always root for the the AL in the All-Star Game. If the Yanks aren't in the World Series, I always root for the AL team. But I will root with all my heart for the National League team (which will hopefully, if there is any justice, be Roger Clemens and the Houston Astros).

The worst parts of all this?
  • The historical aspect. Losing is one thing. Losing in Game 7 is one thing. Allowing the the Sox to become the first team in baseball history to come back from 3-0 sucks beyond description.
  • Losing at home. Watching the Red Sox celebrate in the House That Ruth Built is cringe inducing -- especially with "New York, New York" playing in the background.
  • Dealing with Red Sox Nation. All of you Sox fans will do your best gloating, I'm sure. Go ahead, get it out of your system. I'm sure there will be a nasty e-mail or three waiting for me in my inbox in the morning. You know who you are.

Some parting thoughts: For all of you "Reverse the Curse" people, remember that this doesn't change anything. You still need to win the World Series. Besides, if the Sox do win the World Series, their fans won't know what to do with themselves -- their whole image for the last 86 years is built around being losers. And finally, enjoy your victory while you can, Boston. You still have a long way to go catch up to Yankees' 26 championships and 39 penants.

I guess I found some words after all.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Victory is sweet!!! Johny Damon (whom I now refer to as Grizzly Adams or Barry Gibb from the Bee Gees) finally redeemed himself.
As for the gloating Sox fans, I have to say gloating ain't my style. With the teams I choose to root for, I never have the right. I can just let the actions of the Red Sox speak for themselves...no need to gloat. Besides, even if I did gloat (along with all the other Sox fans), it's a nice turn of events...it gets sooo old listening to the Yankee fans gloat year after year. The fact that the Sox beat them at Yankee Stadium is just great-even if the Sox don't win the World Series...they're still going down in history for what they did.
Here are some words that us Mets/Sox fans say to ourselves (year after year) to comfort you...

"Hey, there's always next year."
-Allie ;)

Anonymous said...

Chris, Chris, Chris, I remember some one getting into an argument with some one supporting the National Legue Team because the Yankees beat the Red Sox. Now when the table turns, what do you do? The same thing.

This series shouldn't have gone to game 7. The Sox should have played much better in the first 3 games. They won the regular season series with out a question. They just gave Yankee fans hope.

Now, think about it. What if the A-hole trade leads to a curse on the Yankee's. I am glad the Sox didn't pick him up nor the Gimp Giambi.

Marc

P.S. Go METs!!!! (oaky, go Astros against the Cardinals!!!!)

Post a Comment