Thursday, August 05, 2004

Exterminate! Exterminate!

Daleks back to fight Doctor Who
This is great news! The Daleks will return after all in the new "Doctor Who" series set to debut next year on the BBC.

There had been a dispute between the BBC and the estate of Daleks creator Terry Nation. I think the new producers wanted to update and modernize the Daleks and the Nation estate didn't like the plans and insisted on editorial control. Talks broke down and it was announced that there would be no Daleks in the new show.

Thankfully, that has changed. Every Doctor has to, at least once, deal the the big three -- the Daleks, the Cybermen and the Master (I once thought of a great storyline that could combine all three, but the BBC isn't returning my calls). I suppsoe if you were going to pick just one of those, it would have to be the Daleks. They are the quintessential Doctor Who villains.

I can't wait to see this new show. I haven't heard anything yet about when or if it will be shown in the United States. Will it be on PBS again? Will a cable channel like Sci Fi or Bravo pick it up? I just hope it doesn't wind up on BBC America, because I don't get that channel. I like "Doctor Who," but I don't know if it's worth shelling out the bucks to get digital cable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment