Monday, April 16, 2007

April showers

We took the kids to the Bronx Zoo on Saturday. I hope to youtube some highlights are at least post some photos at a later date. But for now, it will have to wait because:
A) my computer at home has died.
B) the weather is the more pressing concern right now.

As most of you know, the northeast is getting hit pretty hard. We spent the night in Tarrytown Saturday. I was optimistic we would get home before the worst of the weather hit. That didn’t work out. The trip up the Thruway was a little hairy at times. We saw seven or eight accidents—mostly cars slid off the road. Fortunately we were not involved in any of them.

When I left the house this morning, Kris was still in the basement, armed with a bucket and trying to bail out the water. Our pump just couldn’t keep up with the water as it was coming in. The water never got over an inch deep and it looked like it was slowing down when I left. But with more rain in the forecast for the next 24+ hours, I’m a little concerned.

One of the highlights of the day: I was in the midst of dumping out a bucket of water when the alert sound went off on my cell phone. I checked it and, what do you know, it was a message telling me there was a flood warning. Wow! Thanks for that tip! I would never have guessed!

My brother, a much better man than me, is getting the real raw deal from the weather day. Within the hour, he will be starting the Boston Marathon (I think this is his ninth) despite the horrible conditions there. Good luck, Tim!

UPDATE: Tim's finish time was 3:42:14.

0 comments:

Post a Comment