Monday, December 13, 2004

Completed Christmasifiction

I love our house when it's decorated for Christmas.

Yesterday, we cut down our tree and put it up. That's an event that, it seems, is almost always accompanied by some degree of stress for one reason or another, and yesterday was no different. It took us a long time to find a suitable tree, complicated by the fact we were dragging the kids and the dog through the field with us (actually, they were all troopers). Finally, after cutting it down, we wound up getting charged for a more expensive Fraser Fir when we thought we were getting a White Spruce. At that point though, I didn't care. I just wanted to get out of there. Tying the tree to the roof of our van, which lacks a roof rack, was another minor ordeal.

By the time we were done and on our way home, I was so frustrated that I actually uttered the words, "Next year we're getting a fake tree!" I hate artificial trees, so that should tell how grumpy I was.

But once the tree was in the stand and the ornaments started coming out, the tension started melting away. I love trimming the tree. It seems like I can remember the story behind each and every ornament. The tree is a sort of record of our family and all of our Christmases past.

Last evening, after the tree was finished, the stockings hung by the chimney with care, the lights dimmed and the candles lit, I couldn't help but sit back with a cup of hot chocalate and enjoy the moment. At this time of year, our house always feels so cozy and comforting.

It truly is the most woderful time of the year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment