Friday, February 09, 2007

Put down the Big Mac!

When New York became the first state to ban the use of hand-held cell phones while driving, I told everyone to mark my words: they’ll try to ban Big Macs in cars next.

Sure enough, Vermont lawmakers are considering a measure that would ban eating, drinking, smoking, reading, writing, personal grooming, playing an instrument, "interacting with pets or cargo," talking on a cell phone or using any other personal communication device while driving.

There are similar bills under consideration in Maryland and Texas. Connecticut already has a loosely-defined law that bans activity that could distract a driver.

Look, I comply with the cell phone law because it makes good sense to use my headset or speaker phone. I was doing that before the state told me I had to. But I thought it was silly that we needed a law for this.

However, if Vermont’s “distracted driver” legislation comes to New York (and make no mistake, it will) I will resist it whole heartedly. There is no way lawmakers should be able to tell me that I can’t take a sip from my coffee or eat a Pop Tart in my car.

Where do we draw the line? Can I change the radio station? Can I talk to a passenger in the car? Can I pass a pair of sunglasses to one of my kids behind me?

The bottom line is, you can’t legislate against stupidity (look at how state Sen. Carl Kruger became a laughing stock when he proposed banning the use of iPods, cell phones and other digital media devices while crossing the street). No matter what law you pass, there will still be plenty of fools out there doing stupid things.

RELATED NEWS: Felix Ortiz, the assemblyman behind New York's hand-held cell phone ban, is now pushing for a total cell phone ban for drivers unless they're calling 911.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I agree with you on this one.

I really don't think these laws are necessary. However, I do think we need to have tougher penalties for people who cause accidents, injuries or actions that disrupts traffic (speeding, improper lane changes, aggressive driving, etc, etc). Whether the accident is caused because the driver was on the phone, switching a CD, eating a burger, drinking a soda or giving his kid a pair of sunglasses, just make the penalties stiff. Maybe when people cause accidents or disrupt traffic, instead of a few points and a $250 find the penalty should be lose the licenses for a month or two, more points and a minimum $1,000 fine. Maybe if they cause injuries, they should sit in jail for a few days and think about they did. Make the fines and penalties mandatory with no plea barging options. I think larger mandatory fine will really cause people to pay more attention to driving.

You are right, government shouldn't be telling people what they can or cannot do in their cars. But whatever drivers decide to do while driving if they cause an accident, injury or death, they are going to pay big time.

Don and Sher said...

That's why cops must be a special breed. They can drive 65 mph with a coffee in one hand, talking on the radio while playing with the lights and siren as they write in a note pad.

Post a Comment