Thursday, February 01, 2007

Phone the neighbors, wake the kids

David Letterman marks 25 years in late night television tonight! It was Feb. 1, 1982 when “Late Night with David Letterman” debuted on NBC.

It all started with this word of caution from Larry “Bud” Melman:
"Good evening. Certain NBC executives feel it would be a little unkind to present this show without just a word of friendly warning. We’re about to unfold a show featuring David Letterman, a man of science who sought to create a show after his own image, without reckoning upon God… I think it will thrill you. It may shock you. It may even horrify you. So if any of you feel that you don’t care to subject your nerves to such a strain, now’s your chance just to, well, we warned you."
I’ve been a fan since the beginning. Well, almost the beginning. I remember watching Dave’s short-lived morning show on NBC back in 1980. I started watching “Late Night” a few years into its run on the rare nights I was allowed to stay up that late.

One of the first “Late Night” shows I remember seeing aired on a night my parents were hosting a holiday party (it might have been New Year’s Eve) that went into the wee early hours. I was up past 12:30 and remember seeing Dave interview Dr. Ruth Westheimer (although I had no idea what she was talking about!). By middle school, “Late Night” had been expanded to Friday nights (pushing back NBC’s “Friday Night Videos”) and I became a regular viewer on those nights.

The first guest back in 1982 was Bill Murray. He returned for Dave’s first “Late Show” on CBS will be on hand again tonight.

Here’s a timeline of Dave's achievments in late night TV. And below is the piece that was put together 10 years ago for Dave’s 15th anniversary…

0 comments:

Post a Comment