Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Heart of Gold crew


My "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" kick continues...

Tonight I came across this photo of Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox, Zooey Deschanel as Trillian, Marvin the Robot and Mos Def as Ford Prefect.

Inside the Marvin suit is Warwick Davis, the miniature actor best known to geeks everywhere for his roles in "Willow" and "Return of the Jedi" (sharp eyed nerds also will have also spotted him making a cameo in "The Phantom Menace" and he plays Professor Flitwick in the Harry Potter movies). As I previously blogged, Marvin will be voiced by Alan Rickman.

H2G2 fans will notice the curious lack of a second head on Sam Rockwell's shoulders. One can only hope it will be a CGI head added in later in post. However, there have also been rumors that in this version Zaphod's second head isn't necessarily on his shoulders, but rather is somewhere else altogether -- although where that might be remains a mystery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No no no, that is messing with the author's original intent. Zaphod's other head must be on his shoulders. Call me a purist, but that's how I feel about it.

I like the casting. Don't know who most of them are but they are rather like how I pictured them when I read the book.

Warwick Davis...wouldn't have cast anyone but him in the Marvin role. ;)

Shannon

Roon said...

I don't think you can complain about messing with the authors intent when you consider that A) Douglas Adams worked on the screenplay before he died and B) through the many incarnations of H2G2 (radio show, book, TV show) there have always been changes if not flat out contradictions. So to be truly faithful, there should be some changes!

The cast looks good. I never really imagined Ford as a black man, but that's ok. Mos Def is a great actor and I can't wait to see what he brings to the part. Zooey Deschanel was in "Elf." If you haven't seen that yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!? It's an instant Christmas classic. Marvin looks absolutely nothing like a imagined. I always pictured him taller, more square and clunky.

Post a Comment