Thursday, December 01, 2005

I got it! I got it!

Red Sox file suit to keep World Series ball
It's one of the basic rules of baseball -- make sure to call the ball.

In the final game of the 2004 World Series, Red Sox pitcher Keith Foulke flipped the ball to first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz for the final out, snapping the Sox 86-year championship drought.

After the game Mientkiewicz put the ball in a safe deposit box.

Not so fast, said the Red Sox. They said they own the ball and they wanted it back.

In January, days after Mientkiewicz was traded to the New York Mets, he agreed to lend the ball to the Red Sox for one year and it was delivered to Fenway Park in a Brinks armored truck. The ball then joined the World Series trophy on a tour of Massachusetts cities and towns.

Now that the year is almost up, the Sox are suing keep the ball.

I don't know why, but this whole story strikes me as funny. Of course, what would be really funny is if the judge decides the ball should go to Steve Bartman.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't strike me as funny...it strikes me as stupid and embarrassing! The Red Sox FO are totally making idiots of THEMSELVES by pulling this stunt.

Personally, I don't think the Sox have a snowball's chance in Hell of getting the ball back. Too much precedent of players keeping the ball after the last out.

Post a Comment