Friday, September 09, 2005

The First Day of School

Well, today was the big day. This morning Nolan climbed onto the bus and headed of to his first day of kindergarten!

He was bouncing off the walls this morning. He had been getting increasingly excited everyday as the first day of school approached.

The rest of the district started on Wednesday, but for some reason they didn’t start kindergarten until today.

We went outside about five minutes before the scheduled arrival of the bus, which was then about 15 minutes late. When the bus did pull up to the edge of our driveway, the door opened and the driver stepped down to introduce herself to Nolan. I heard her say her name was Cathel.

Holy blast from the past! Cathel was one of my drivers all through school, and of course dad knew her when he was a school bus driver. I quickly jumped in and said, “Cathel, you drove me to school!”

And mom, who was there, asked Cathel if she remembered dad.

Cathel looked at all of us and couldn’t believe it. She pointed at Nolan and said, “This is…?”

“Yup,” I said, “This is my son.”

I told her I was pleased to know Nolan was in good hands, and with that, the bus was on its way.

Nolan just called me a few minutes ago. He’s home. Kris had already played 20 questions with him about how his day went, so he wasn’t up to fielding too many more of the same questions from me. But it sounds like he had a good time.

Now, with his first day of school behind him, he’s anxious to dive into the generous gift Grandma & Grandpa Chase sent to down to him yesterday: “Dukes of Hazzard” Season 2 (Thomas got a new “Thomas the Tank Engine” video)!

In related news, Nolan had his first soccer practice last night. He actually looked pretty good out there.

The experience is a little different for me than baseball was, because I’m not quite as involved this time. I don’t really know a whole lot about soccer.

The first game is tomorrow morning.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just going to email you about Nolan's first day of Kindergarten...I still cannot believe it! Seems like just yesterday he was a little bundle fast asleep in Kris's arms. Sigh.

Time goes by so fast. Glad to hear it went well. I face this next year!

Post a Comment