Thursday, July 29, 2004

Rain, rain go away

It's been raining a lot lately.  Actually, that's an understatement.  I heard one of the meteorologists on TV say this has been the wettest July on record since the late 1800s.

Last night, the ground said, "That's enough - I'm not soaking up anymore of this stuff!"  I went down into our basement around 8 p.m. to get some laundry and everything was nice and dry.  Around that time it started pouring four about two hours.  We watched a movie until about 10 p.m.  That's when I let Chester out and noticed that our pump was running.  So we checked the basement, and sure enough - there was about five inches of water down there!

We've lived in our house for seven years (almost to the day) and this has never happened before.  We were up until about 2 a.m. cleaning up the mess.  A lot of stuff got soaked.  Probably worst of all was our camping gear, which was sitting on the floor.  We didn't bother putting any of it away after our last trip because we have another one coming up soon.  That stuff can be dried out and cleaned, but I think I'm going to have to toss Mike's old car stereo.  I had pulled out of his Saturn when I traded it in.  I haven't been using it, so it was sitting in its box in cabinet in the basement - on the bottom shelf of the cabinet!  It was partially submerged, so it's probably useless now.

We got most of the water out last night.  I went to work late today because there is still a lot to do.  I had to replace the dryer hose because it filled up with water from the outside and broke.  Kris is busy right now trying to figure out how to dry everything out with her two "helpers."

It could have been worse.  Our neighbors across the street had water half-way up their basement - two or three-feet deep.  I heard about another house down the street from us that had water all the way up to their basement door!  I spoke to a firefighter last night and found out that there were flood basements all over town.

I always love a good thunderstorm, but enough is enough.  Let's hope for a dry August.



0 comments:

Post a Comment