Thursday, May 22, 2008

Happy retirement, Mrs. B!

Last night I did something I haven’t done in a very long time – performed at Niskayuna High School.

A former music teacher of mine, Paula Brinkman, is retiring. I had her as a teacher in elementary and middle school. After I graduated she later took over the choir and Studio Singers (in addition to numerous other duties) after the retirement of Bob Christensen (who was in attendance last night – great to see you again Mr. C!).

So on the occasion of her final school concert, a number of current students and alumni pulled together to perform a few songs for her. It was fantastic to see the look on her face as we paraded into the auditorium!

It was also quite a trip to be up on those risers and singing in that auditorium again for the first time in 18 years. (I forgot how hot it gets up there!)

I think it’s safe to say I was the oldest in the group. At one point she referred to the group as “kids,” then corrected herself to say “young adults.” At that point she looked over shoulder and said, “Rooney, you’re getting to be a middle aged adult.”

It was a real pleasure to be a small part of the tribute to a great teacher.

Here are some highlights put together by Paul Conti, my former boss and a friend of Paula’s, who helped organize the event.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was something! How nice for her. There is nothing more rewarding to a teacher than to see her students still excelling in the subject that they taught.

I had Mrs. B for 5th and 6th grades and I did enjoy her class.

Congrats on your retirement!

Oy - we are really middle aged now? Naaaah!!

Post a Comment