Monday, May 19, 2008

Fill 'er up!

Ok, time for another gas price rant. I came dangerously close to putting $50 in my Honda Civic this morning. Not some gas-guzzling SUV or minivan -- a Honda friggin' Civic!

Granted my car was on fumes when I pulled in to the gas station. I got about 370 miles out of more than 11 gallons of gas.

I think it's time for a new strategy. I've been trying to stretch out the time between fill ups as much as possible. In this case I think it's been nearly two weeks since the last time I put gas in the car. I'd have to double-check my receipts, but in that time I think the price of gas has gone up 15-20 cents. So maybe going so long between fill ups isn't the best thing to do. I'm probably better off topping the tank off every few days, or at least once a week.

Has anyone else experimented with this? I'm always looking for ways to get the most bang for my buck when it comes to gas (except for when it comes to the lawnmower -- Kris wants to abandon our gas-powered mower for a push one, but I'm not wild about that).

In related news, we walked to church Sunday morning. This was part of a promoted "Walk, Bike or Carpool to Chuch Day" event. It's about 1.5 miles round trip for us. The weather was nice and no one seemed to mind the hike too much. I think we'll do this more often.

2 comments:

Aaron Hull said...

Abandon the gas powered mower??? If my wife ever suggested that, my answer would be: “As long as you abandon the washing machine and you wash all our clothes by hand, then I will use a manual push mower”.

Anonymous said...

It takes about 1 1/2 hours to mow our property with a gas-powered lawn mower. My husband would have a heart-attack if I suggested using a push mower to save on gas - haha.

We will start walking to church. It is certainly within walking distance!

I am trying not to speed. I read somewhere that after you exceed 60 mph, your fuel effeciency drops considerably. It pains me, but I don't exceed 60 on the highway anymore.

I am trading in the SUV this fall for a hybrid. It takes $60 to fill it. Now that my stepdaughter has a license and her own car, we don't need a large family vehicle anymore.

My husband rides his motorcycle to work whenever feasible. He did last week and he hasn't had to fill his truck yet.

Post a Comment