Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Time shift turmoil

I know a lot of people like to keep themselves in the dark when it comes to Olympic results so they can watch the events in prime time.

But it bugs me when broadcasters try to pretend the events aren’t taped. Specifically, I don’t like when teases for coverage are worded as though something hasn’t happened yet.

For example, MSNBC’s Tucker Carlson just mentioned that “Tonight Courtney Zablocki will try to end the German women’s reign as luge champions” (I’m paraphrasing). Except she won’t be doing that tonight! The event is already over and she didn’t win a medal! I knew that this morning.

Likewise, at noon ET on Friday I head an anchorperson say, “The opening ceremonies are just eight hours away,” when they were more likely one or two hours away.

I understand not wanting to give things away, but acknowledge they’ve already happened.

Maybe I’m just being nitpicky.

0 comments:

Post a Comment