Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wonderful world of 'Wicked'

On Monday night I joined the tens of thousands of people who will see “Wicked” at Proctors Theatre this month.

It was an amazing show, which tells the backstory of the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch of “The Wizard Oz.” It leaves you seeing the characters in a whole new light. Now I want to watch the movie again to see how well it all fits together.

As much as I liked the show, I don’t know if it quite rises to the level of “Phantom of the Opera.” I still think I liked that better.

Of course, maybe I would have enjoyed “Wicked” more had it not been for the family with giant heads sitting right and front of us and the dad who let his phone ring for about 30 seconds before finally shutting it off.

But it’s great to see shows like this come to Proctors and be successful. When “Wicked” first opened in Schenectady, WNYT reported that the theater had 82,000 seats available and had already sold 70,000 of them before the show’s run had even started. That’s impressive, and it’s great to see so many people enjoying downtown Schenectady.

Have you seen "Wicked" at Proctors? What did you think of it?
blog comments powered by Disqus