- An update from the Free Stuff Files: I recently scored a free necktie from Christopher's Men's Store. They're running a promotion with the local station that carries Yankee games. They randomly pick an inning before the game and if the score is tied during that inning you can go to the TV station's website to print out a coupon for a free tie. Sure enough, the first time they ran this promotion they wound up giving away dozens and dozens of ties. The deal was good for any tie in the store. I had a $90 tie in my hands at one point, but passed on it because it was kind of ugly. I settled on one worth about $40.
- I can’t believe Thomas is done with preschool. He’s still such a little pipsqueak. It’s going to be really weird when he gets on that bus for Kindergarten in the fall.
- Nolan has been playing really good baseball lately. His whole team has come a long way this year. Hard to believe we only have one game left.
- We’ve really been getting our use out of our Great Escape season passes. We’ve already been up to the park twice with the whole family plus Kris went up one more time with Thomas and his friend Leo. I finally have someone to ride rollercoasters with since Nolan is now big enough. We’re now planning a trip to Six Flags New England (formerly Riverside Amusement Park) since our passes will work there too. Thanks mom and dad Chase!
- We’ve gotten into the habit of riding our bikes to church every Sunday morning. I really enjoy that.
- We recently downgraded to regular old basic cable. So far we’re surviving. We’re watching more PBS. Plus the kids are getting by on a steady diet of DVDs from the library and I’ve found Hulu to be a lifesaver. We’re also reading more.
- Speaking of DVDs for the kids, I continue to educate them in the classics. We recently picked up a 4-DVD set of Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons at the library. Nolan is now well versed in “moose and squirrel,” as well as “Mr. Peabody and Sherman,” “Fractured Fairy Tales,” “Aesop and Son,” and of course “Dudley Do-Right of the Mounties.”
- My two little geeks-in-training are also getting hooked on “Doctor Who.” One of the most asked questions when I get home from work is “Dad, can we watch ‘Doctor Who’ tonight?” Thomas has taken to walking around the house pretending to be a Dalek and Nolan has moved beyond the current 10th Doctor and asked to watch some of the classic episodes from the 1970s and 80s that I have on DVD.
- I’m steadily getting more addicted to Facebook. Several more friends from high school and college have signed on recently. It’s been a great way to keep in touch with people.
- I’ll leave you with this question – when can we stop referring to years as “two-thousand” and start saying “twenty?” For example, when I see 2010, I want to say “twenty-ten,” but it bugs me to hear people still say “two-thousand ten.” Just a little pet peeve I guess.
1 day ago