Friday, August 06, 2010

'Even the darkness must pass'


Nolan has discovered the "Lord of the Rings" movies. He watched "The Fellowship of the Ring" for the first time about a month ago and tonight we watched "The Two Towers."

I enjoy these movies so much. I love the characters. Aragorn is such an awesome hero. Gimli and and Legolas are lots of fun. But my favorite might be Sam. I don't think there is a more loyal friend in the world.

Of the three movies (Nolan is very eager to see "The Return of the King" now), "Two Towers" is the one I've seen the least.  There is a speech that Sam gives at the end that I had forgotten about, but I really liked it a lot. So I figured I'd post it here:

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?

But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why.

But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

As long as we're on the subject, I'd be remiss if I didn't include a link to this clip, which may be my favorite moment in the entire LOTR trilogy. I admit, I get a little choked up every time I see it.
blog comments powered by Disqus